Friday, January 9, 2009

Cash Flagg Cashes In.


When I was in Las Vegas about six years ago, on a whim, I decided to thumb through the phonebook to see if one of my movie-making idols was listed. I never thought in a million years that he would be, but there it was: a listing for R.
Steckler. Alas, I was too chicken-shit to call, and I'm still kicking myself for not vandalizing the phone-book and tearing out the page -- or the Yellow Page listing for Mascot Video over on Tropicana Avenue, but then regrets always are a bitch.


Lampooned by my most but rabidly loved by others, myself included, I wouldn't say Steckler was as bona fide genius, but there was something especially surreal about the look and feel of his movies that a lot of other one-lung filmmakers couldn't come close to matching. And i
n the end, the man left his mark and a wonderfully weird oeuvre for us to enjoy for all perpetuity. And for that, I'd like to say thanks.


Ray Dennis Steckler
(1938-2009)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently viewd Wild Guitar,Ray Stekler directed and acted in this early 60,s film. I enjoyed the movie. it was done in a fun time and very followable. I put this one with my classic early rock movies! Thanks Ray-ur59taxicab@yahoo.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...